Everything that is, is holy

On the way to Molsheim from Strasbourg, just 20k by the bike path, I pass this statue of Christ. Reminds me of what I read from Thomas Merton this morning in his New Seeds for Contemplation. He says there isn't evil in anything created by God, and if we treat the good things of God as if they are evils, we're no different than Adam blaming Eve and Eve blaming the serpent in Eden, woman has tempted me, wine has tempted me. And Merton says its not true that the saints never loved created things, had no understanding of the world. Says Merton, "Do you think that their love for God was compatible with hatred for things that reflected him?" Back from Molsheim, I'm agreeing with Merton as I pour myself a glass of wine...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They welcomed us

God multiplies our efforts

A river of love