We can become one again



 Only when Babylon’s seventy years are completed will I visit you, and I will fulfill to you my promise and bring you back to this place. – Jeremiah 29:10

Just after the Korean War In the 1950s, Hyung Gon Lee was a farm manager for the Mennonite Vocational School in Taegu, South Korea established by MCC relief volunteers.

Following the war, Korea was one of the poorest countries in the world. Food, fuel and electricity were scarce and there was massive unemployment. A third of all the houses in the entire country were destroyed, as well as almost half the industrial facilities.



Beginning in 1952, MCC set up feeding stations and distributed clothing and bedding. Hyung Gon says MCC provided a serving of milk and rice to 5,000 people each day. The vocational school trained hundreds of orphans for jobs in post-war South Korea.

I heard second-hand from one of these orphans who is now a successful businessman in Chuncheon, “Every Thursday the MCC truck would come in and we were so excited because we knew we would have meat in our soup that day.” He said the tin from the meat cans was later used to repair house roofs.

More than 75 MCCers from North America served in South Korea from 1951 to 1971. Rapid economic growth in the country meant that MCC could leave South Korea after just 20 years in the country.

In the 1990s, South Koreans who were studying from the Bible on their own decided that Anabaptism best described who they were as Christians and Jesus Village Church, and later, Jesus Heart Church, were formed.


 Today, MCC is back in South Korea and its ministry focuses on providing peace education in the northeast Asia region, being a reconciliatory presence within the two Koreas and providing exchange opportunities for young adults from Korea, northeast Asia and North America to learn more about what it means to follow Jesus.

One MCC partner is the Peace Building and the Korean Peacebuilding Institute (KOPI) begun by Hyung Gon Lee’s son, Jae Young Lee, and others. KOPI’s 15-member staff teach restorative justice and peace building skills in the public schools, to the local police and elsewhere.

“Without the scholarship MCC gave me to attend the Summer Peacebuilding Institute at Eastern Mennonite University in Harrisonburg, VA, I couldn’t be doing what I’m doing today,” Jae Young tells me.

Jae Young also partners with others, including MCC, in the annual two-week long Northeast Asia Regional Peacebuilding Institute for peace activists, practioners and educators.


We sit in the Peace Building coffee shop with Jae Young and his father Hyung Gon and talk about the possibility for peace between North Korea and South Korea. When Jae Young hears about MCC’s peacebuilding work in North Korea, he says he remembers MCC’s work at the Mennonite Vocational School 70 years ago.

“What MCC did in the past in Korea touches people like me who are working in the same spirit of peace today,” Jae Young says. He believes the young people he trains today will be part of bridge building between the two Koreas tomorrow.


 Jae Young’s father, Hyung Gon, points to the prophet Jeremiah’s hope for Israel that the Jews could return to Jerusalem 70 years after their exile in Babylon. Hyung believes that 70 years after the war in Korea began, north and south can become one again. “We are brothers and sisters,” he says, “and MCC is helping to build trust between us.”

Ron Byler is executive director of MCC U.S.

Comments

  1. i am very happy today to share this amazing testimony on how Dr. Lawson the herbal doctor was able to cure me from my HerpesVirus with his herbal medicine. I have been a herpes patient for almost 8 months now and have tried different methods of treatment to ensure that I am cured of this terrible disease, but none worked for me, so I had to leave
    everything to God to handle as I was a Christian who had faith that one
    day God would intervene in my life, yet I felt so sad and desperate as I was
    losing almost everything due to my illness, A few months ago while I was surfing the internet I saw different recommendation about Dr Lawson on how he have been using his herbal Medicine to treat and cure people, these people advice we contact Dr Lawson for any problem that would help immediately I contacted Dr Lawson and I told him how I got his contact
    and also about my disease, after some time Dr. Lawson Told me to have faith that he would prepare for me a medication of herbal herbs, he told me I would take this medicine for a few weeks and also asked my home for home address so as possible for him to submit the drug for me, so my good friends after all the process and everything Dr Lawson actually sent me the
    medicine, I took it as I was directed by Dr. Lawson , after a few weeks passed, while
    on Dr. Lawson medication I began to experience changes in my body, I had
    to call my doctor at the hospital for some blood test, after test my hospital doctor told me that I was no longer with the herpesvirus and my blood is pretty good, I can not even believe this, Friends well today i am Herpes Free and i want everyone to know that there is a
    cure for herpes for those who will contact Dr Lawson after reading my testimony
    he can still cure all other disease and virus.. you can
    kindly contact Dr.lawson on his IG LINK @dr_lawson9 OR his email dr.lawsonherbalhome@gmail.com
    or whatsapp him +234815 463 5774, ans also here is his website https://drlawsonherbalhome.weebly.com
    God bless you all    

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am very happy today to share this amazing testimony on how Dr. Lawson the herbal doctor was able to cure me from my HerpesVirus with his herbal medicine. I have been a herpes patient for almost 8 months now and have tried different methods of treatment to ensure that I am cured of this terrible disease, but none worked for me, so I had to leave
    everything to God to handle as I was a Christian who had faith that one
    day God would intervene in my life, yet I felt so sad and desperate as I was
    losing almost everything due to my illness, A few months ago while I was surfing the internet I saw different recommendation about Dr Lawson on how he have been using his herbal Medicine to treat and cure people, these people advice we contact Dr Lawson for any problem that would help immediately I contacted Dr Lawson and I told him how I got his contact
    and also about my disease, after some time Dr. Lawson Told me to have faith that he would prepare for me a medication of herbal herbs, he told me I would take this medicine for a few weeks and also asked my home for home address so as possible for him to submit the drug for me, so my good friends after all the process and everything Dr Lawson actually sent me the
    medicine, I took it as I was directed by Dr. Lawson , after a few weeks passed, while
    on Dr. Lawson medication I began to experience changes in my body, I had
    to call my doctor at the hospital for some blood test, after test my hospital doctor told me that I was no longer with the herpesvirus and my blood is pretty good, I can not even believe this, Friends well today i am Herpes Free and i want everyone to know that there is a
    cure for herpes for those who will contact Dr Lawson after reading my testimony
    he can still cure all other disease and virus.. you can
    kindly contact Dr.lawson on his IG LINK @dr_lawson9 OR his email dr.lawsonherbalhome@gmail.com
    or whatsapp him +234815 463 5774, ans also here is his website https://drlawsonherbalhome.weebly.com
    God bless you all    

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY DAUGHTER CANCER HEALING TESTIMONEY

    Hi everyone, this is good news, a perfect and greats one. My daughter of
    17years who has suffered of Colon Cancer Stage for 2 and half years has been
    cure by a Herbal doctor called Dr voodoo, who uses herbal and traditional
    medicine to cure people. I have spent so much on my daughter's health for
    years but no improvement. A friend told me about this herbal man who cure
    people with herbal medicine. he cures all sickness, diseases, viruses, and
    infections with his different herbal curing medicine.The result that
    declares my daughter janet healed was from a hospital here in USA, And the
    results of the test says my daughter was okay. Dr voodoo directed that
    janet would be heal in 7days if she uses the medicine as directed. And
    7days later, we went to confirm from the central hospital and several test
    that was done says my daughter is not sick or anything. So she was cured by
    this herbal doctor in 7days. This amaze me though. I would advice everyone
    to meet this Dr voodoo his email is voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com
    for his herbal medicine to cure your illness because am happy to see my
    daughter healthy again.Meet Dr voodoo and set yourself and your love ones
    will free you can also add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  4. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
    Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
    Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
    Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to let the world know about Dr Osebor herbal cure he is 100% Guarantee sure to cure your. HIV/AIDS ,He is the only person that i can boldly say he can cure any types of Diseases.i was having HIV for more than 8 years when i meant Dr Osebor online on how he has cured so many people and how greatly he has helped many individuals online,so i contacted him and explained my situation to him and behold i was cure with his herbal medicine and now am living happily, so to anyone having issues on hiv/aids or other disease challenges i advised that you contacthim via email oseborwinbacktemple@gmail.com for whatsapp +2348073245515 he can also cure any disease such as(1) HIV/AIDS(2) HEPATITIS B,(3)DIABETICS,(4)CANCER,(5)HERPES(6)He can also bring back your ex lover,(7)LOVE SPELL,(7)PENIS ENLARGEMENT He is the great man and kind person. Dr Osebor thank you ones more for curing my HIV/AIDS, i own you in return. Thanks and be blessed Dr Osebor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

They welcomed us

God multiplies our efforts

A river of love